Its that time again. Time to take a look back and see what you, the reader, liked this year at GonzoGeek.
It was a big year for us. We transitioned from our blog to a full-blown website thanks to Matt. We added SXSW and Comic-Con to our coverage net. We brought the Mayor of Parts Unknown on as a columnist.
All in all, it was a good year for us and we thank all of you for your continued support.
As good as our year was, perhaps nobody had a "better" 2011 than Charlie Sheen. His freewheeling descent into madness was a trainwreck of epic proportions and we just couldn't look away.
The Warlock apparently shared the Tiger's Blood with his ex-wife, because by basking in his reflected glory, Denise Richards was able to knock Nadine Velasquez off her throne and claim the title of Cheesecake of the Year. It remains to be seen if Ms. Richards can retain the title as long as the former Catalina, or if she will be the Ronnie Garvin of Cheesecake.
As I was searching of today's pictures, I was struck by one thing. In nearly every picture Ms. Richards has that thousand yard stare usually associated with mainline cons. Of course, I guess being married to Charlie Sheen could have the same effect on your soul as doing hard time.
Here now is the list. Last year's rank is in bold, but be warned, there was a lot turnover this year.
10. Friday LinkFrogging - the first entry in our weekly feature surged this year, I'm sure in great part to the presence of Kaley Cuoco as our inaugural cheesecake. With The Big Bang Theory turning into a ratings behemoth and me having a much better handle on the LinkFrogging feature, I'm inclined to give Ms. Cuoco as second appearance as weekly cheesecake. Something to keep your eyes peeled for in 2012.
9. Friday LinkFrogging (2) - The only post from the 2010 list to make the 2011 list, this one, once again, shows the amazing loyalty of the Cult of Catalina. Our reigning two-time cheesecake of the year was offed early in the first episode of the ill-fated Charlie's Angels reboot. They clearly didn't know what we know. Nadine = ratings!
8. Seperated at Birth - Kate Gosselin traded in her wedge salad hairdo for a semi-mullet and we quickly compared it to Joe Dirt. I don't know which end of that equation is still drawing heat, but my wife's comparison is still spot on.
7. Comic-Con 2011: CM Punk Crashes WWE Panel - It was the first "real" day of Comic-Con. We had slogged through Preview Night and were back bright and early for interviews with Bruce Campbell and Sarah Shahi. I thought the Campbell interview would be our big get of the Con. Turns out that while Stephe, John and I were doing roundtables, Matt walked into the perfect storm. CM Punk "crashed" the WWE toy panel and Matt's quick wits and videography skills got us ahead of most of the media. Well done sir!
6. Friday LinkFrogging - 2/18/11 - Looking back at this one, its clear the attraction is the pictures of Elle MacPherson. Nothing in the world wrong with that.
5. GonzoGeek's Top 10 Posts of 2010 - Nadine Velasquez + Year End List = Views. I guess this technically counts as Ms. Velasquez' second appearance in the Top 10. Why isn't this woman working more? Hollywood...you are missing out!
4. Friday LinkFrogging - 8/20/10 - Regardless of what you think of her movie career, you can't deny Jennifer Aniston's place in the pop culture pantheon. Her turn as one of the titular Horrible Bosses surely helped this post's numbers. The fact that Nick at Nite now has syndication rights to Friends and is running it for two hours each night couldn't hurt either. Of course, if you scroll to the bottom of the post, well, that picture might have something to do with it too.
3. Bass Girls - Aamir's homage to bass playing hotties struck a chord with our readers. One of my favorite developments of 2011 was the emergence of Aamir and Chris' Jibbies and Loond podcast. If you're not listening to these you are missing out. They bring the metal and have a genuinely fun time doing it. Make it a resolution for 2012 to add J&L to your lives. You can thank me in 2013.
2. Friday LinkFrogging - 4/22/11 - Jenny McCarthy was our penultimate cheesecake before the move to the new site. As a result she has been pinned as "last week's cheesecake" on the old site since May. The moral? America still loves them some Jenny McCarthy.
1. Friday LinkFrogging - 3/4/11 - It wasn't even close. This one was our runaway leader this year. I'd like to think it was my article that took all of the bat-shit crazy things Charlie Sheen was saying in the media at the time and shoehorned them into a semi-coherent confessional. That's what I'd like to think, but I'm not that foolish. Scantily clad Denise Richards got us here. Congratulations to her.
That's the roundup. I hope you enjoyed our stroll down memory lane. Look for more geeky goodness for us in 2012.
Won't you please enjoy one more slice of cheesecake for the road?
Happy New Year!