Over the years, the works of H.P. Lovecraft have proven difficult to transfer to the big screen. Something about the otherworldly menace of many of the stories has been just beyond cinematic grasp.
That's what makes Re-Animator so special.
Based on Lovecraft's Herbert West - Reanimator
, 1985's B-Movie classic is a masterpiece of gore and nudity. The smaller scope of the story allowed Stuart Gordon to focus on the more human aspects of Lovecraftian horror with surprisingly good results.
For those not familiar with the story, here's the synopsis:
When medical student Dean Cain advertises for a roommate, he soon finds one in the form of Dr. Herbert West. Initially a little eccentric, it some becomes clear that West entertains some seriously outlandish theories - specifically, the possibility of re-animating the dead. It's not long before Dean finds himself under West's influence, and embroiled in a serious of ghoulish experiments which threaten to go wildly out of control...
The new limited edition release of Reanimator from Arrow Video is backed with extras, including:
- 4K restorations of the Unrated and Integral versions of the film
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Original Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 Audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Digipak packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson
- Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by writer Michael Gingold
- Re-Animator - the original 1991 comic book adaptation, reprinted in its entirety
Disc 1 - Unrated Version
- Unrated version [86 mins]
- Audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon
- Audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, actors Jeffrey Combs, Barbara Crampton, Bruce Abbott, and Robert Sampson
- Re-Animator Resurrectus - documentary on the making of the film, featuring extensive interviews with cast and crew
- Interview with director Stuart Gordon and producer Brian Yuzna
- Interview with writer Dennis Paoli
- Interview with composer Richard Band
- Music Discussion with composer Richard Band
- Interview with former Fangoria editor Tony Timpone
- Barbara Crampton In Conversation -the Re-Animator star sits down with journalist Alan Jones for this career-spanning discussion
- Deleted and Extended Scenes
- Trailer & TV Spots
Disc 2 - Integral Version - Limited Edition Exclusive
- Integral version [105 mins]
- A Guide to Lovecraftian Cinema - brand new featurette looking at the many various cinematic incarnations of writer H.P. Lovecraft's work
I'd truly forgotten what a grisly good time Re-Animator is. The movie set the bar that so many other comedy-horror movies have been trying to reach for decades.
Fans of the Re-Animator
franchise will a lot to love in this new edition. It features two cuts of the movie and tons of extras. Newcomers will find this an excellent jumping on point for the series.
The limited edition release of Re-Animator
is available now at MVDshop.com or on Amazon.